Sunday, November 23, 2014

Answers.


Today started out pretty bad for Zachary. He was working very hard to breathe and looked dusky/blueish.  His sats were low 70s high 60s.  His normal is low 80s.  I arrived at the hospital around 8am to find him looking miserable.
During rounds, we discussed several things and tried to come up with a plan.  Everyone at this point was puzzled with why zachary has responded this way.   We decided to stop one of the new heart meds they started because he was spitting up so much and it didn't seem to be working anyways.  We also decided to have a chest X-ray to make sure everything still looked ok.  They came to do the X-ray around 1030am.  I left the hospital to go attend prior commitment. I received a call around 1pm from Dr. Matchy, Zachary's ICU doc for today.
I didn't hear my phone, so she left a message, " Hi Becky this is Dr Matchy,  I look at Zacharys xray and so give me a call when you get a minute."  
Aaaww, I hate messages like this.  They don't leave them unless there is something wrong.   I happened to look at my phone and saw that the hospital had called, listened to the message and called her right back.  When I called it was hard to understand her with all the noise on my end and hers. What I thought she said was Zachary has fluid on his lungs and she explained it a little and I said "oh ok so more lasiks".
She then said no "we need to put a chest tube back in to drain it". Aw "chest tube" that caught my attention.  Chest tubes stink for Zachary.  They are not comfortable at all. As I realized this was a little more serious than I had originally thought. I grabbed David and said we need to leave now.  We grabbed the boys and head down to PCH. He dropped me off and headed out. When I arrived Dr. Matchy explained more what was going on.  Somehow there was fluid building up between the lining of the lung and the lung. It could be one of two different types of fluid.  First one, just pleural fluid. If this, then we treat with the med he didn't like and oxygen.
The second fluid was chyle fluid. A milky, fatty fluid from the lymphatic system.   Once everything was explained they set up for the procedure in his room.  It was sterile, so we all had to wear hats and masks. They had to sedate him with ketamine and adivan and then the procedure started. As she began, we waited for her to announce what type of fluid it was.  We waited and we waited... "Milky" then came from the doctor's lips.  Well, now we know what kind it is and how to treat it.  Dr. Matchy expected to get about 100ml out of his chest but oh no it kept coming.  As of now they drained 200ml  (7oz) of this fatty fluid out his little chest.  No wonder he has been miserable!!  Makes me horrified that my tiny baby has to go thru this.  I would take it for him in a second.
Now we know what we are dealing with and how to treat it. This probably is because of his heart surgery. The thoracic duct got nicked which then allowed the fatty fluid to build up around his lung. Medical diagnosis is chylothorax. He now has to be put on another formula that has no fat for the next 6-8 weeks and chest tube has to stay in until at least Tuesday which means coming home late in the week. Sigh.  
Another holiday possibly in the hospital. So glad we finally know what has been causing all of his issues.  Thank you all for your continued prayers.  We are worn out, but by God's daily grace we keep moving. 




This fluid amount was the amount as she was placing the tube.  

No comments:

Post a Comment